Thursday, February 22, 2007

I miss SATC

What is a friend? I will tell you it is someone with whom you dare to be yourself.
-- Frank Crane
A friend is one who knows us, but loves us anyway.
-- Fr. Jerome Cummings

Then come the wild weather, come sleet or come snow, we will stand by each other, however it blow.
-- Simon Dach

A man's friendships are one of the best measures of his worth.
-- Charles Darwin


Why is it once people are in relationships, they feel like they have only one person thay can focus on?


Society should be recognizing the need for women in their 30's to maintain a close network of friends. Sex & the City was such a tremendous hit because it touched a cord in women's need for bonding on an emotional level. I can't tell you how much my life has changed since I moved to Ga. My close network of friends in La have all drifted (some out of state after the hurricane)...they have made new daily friends and here I just haven't made the *connection* necessary to have a true (call anytime without hesitation, someone who can finish my sentences, and calls me when one of our favorite stores is having a sale that can't be missed).....I miss having a great single friend....I have a guy friend here I am close too, but he's not the emotional type. He's great for companionship, but not for the rough time emotionally I am dealing with right now. My gay bud has a new man and is *in LOVE* for the first time in his/their life. So he's ALL about him. I understand that but here i go "'WHAT ABOUT ME?"

I just feel so damn much pressure from society (lots I put on myself) about not being married at my age....I do have everything I want (within reason---a house, a car, 401k, 3 awesome cats, both of my parents are still alive, and a sister (we don't talk much these days).










I just feel really lonely and sense of helplessness when it comes to mom's condition, having all of my friends going in different directions....every road they can take except the one that leads to me.

6 comments:

Rachel said...

That pressure began for me in my 20's. I can not tell you how many times I told people - I will get married WHEN I get married. Drove me nuts.

Society is definitely a couple oriented place. It's frustrating. I don't understand why you have to "have" a better half.

I'll be honest - I don't like to call folks. I'd rather email.

You need a G in your life w/o the roller coaster ride. We gotta find ya one, chickie!

And when my nephew's band plays in Auburn, you gotta come ovah!

And email me anytime. I'm here for ya.

Meow Meow said...

RAch- thanks for the comment. Society can suck. I realize there are moments when being single is an asset. We don't have awful in laws to deal with during the holidays, we can sleep in on the weekend...and we don't have some of hubby''s idiot friends over for events.

Hannah said...

I know you miss your show! I'm so glad you introduced me to it. I would imagine there's a lot of pressure, although you're right, there shouldn't be. A successful single woman should be praised-- single men are! Try not to put pressure on yourself. You're great the way you are, and when you find Mr. Right, he'll be a nice asset. :-)

I understand what you mean about friends. It's hard to find friendships like that, and we all feel more comfortable with people who are similar to us. I think it was always hard for me because I married pretty young for a professional woman, and I always felt lonely when my friends were out "doing their thing".

I'm still up for a facial when you get the chance. :-)

Anonymous said...

You can hang out with me anytime. We'll raise some noise and have some fun.

Rose

xo

Oral said...

I understand completely.

GIRL POWER rules. I mean there is nothing better than a great friend.

SATC was a fabulous show~

TitanThirteen said...

I don't think i've ever let people close enough to me to be great freinds. I have lots of casual buddies, but no "real" mates. Like you, anyone i've started getting really close to moved away. Even though we all promise to keep in touch, the "out of sight, out of mind" thing doesn't take too long to become a reality. I accepted it as a sad part of life, but i'll never like it :o(