Saturday, September 16, 2006

reality

Who can tell me the meaning of life?

I seem to think it consists of family and love and friendship. I think it would help if you had a daily foundation that allowed you to smile just because of the blessings that we all feel on a daily basis. The small things that we take for granted. I cool breeze in the air, the taste of chocolate, a friend calling just to see how you are doing. A kitty cat rub on your leg, an incredible football game, a random hug from a child that speaks I love you for no apparent reason, a flower blooming and a democrat losing a race...

Shouldn't we all treat people the way we want to be treated? SO what happens when you don't feel like you are getting a fair shake? Should you friends be there to lend a ear, or to lift a spirit, or is it an expectation that is absolutely out of the question?

Think of someone you know that seems pretty happy about life. How would you describe their attitude? Are they kidding themselves? Are they ignoring the ugly truth about life that's right in front of their eyes and pretending that some happy fantasy world that exists only in their heads is real? Well, guess what. That is exactly how every happy person in the world acts. And the really strange thing is that it's OK. Because the reason that you are unhappy is that you have constructed a fantasy world just as complete and just as removed from the "facts".

The most important word in the language is "now." It is a terrible mistake to think that we can put things off until a better time. Should we go back to college now, or wait while we earn more money? Now. Should we start having a family now, or wait to have kids until we establish our career? Now. Should we start on a regular exercise or diet now, or put it off just a little longer, until after the holidays, until it gets warmer, until our cold goes away, until school lets out, until hell freezes over? Well, it might as well be that last one, because when we put anything off at all, for any reason, we wake up the next week and guess what? It only seems like a week, it is now 20 years later and it's too late to do it.
Make yourself a big cardboard sign with the single word NOW on it and hang it up where you can see it every day.

The good news is that many things that seem too late to do really aren't. They may be more difficult, but there is almost always a way. But you must start on them (guess when!) NOW!

When we are young, life seems so long! It stretches out in front of us forever, and it seems like there is always going to be time for everything. So we let things slide.

Then we blink, and life is almost over.

3 comments:

BarnGoddess_01 said...

"a democrat losing a race..."

heeheehee. I was REALLY worried for about 20 seconds when I thought John Kerry and his nasty, rude wife might have ended up in the White House~

I know a few 'happy' people and they are oblivious...oblivious to all the bad things that go on around them. I am jealous, I wish I could be oblivious just once in my life instead of living in the 'real' world.

FelineFrisky said...

Very good point. I do this alot. I have started to think in the NOW lately, though. I think about all the wasted time and get mad with myself. Motivation stirs! lol Thanks for the thoughts. D

Hannah said...

I do think some people pretend to have it all figured out, and inside, they are unhappy. I also believe that most people are unhappy about something. I can honestly say I'm pretty happy about life, but I still complain a lot, which isn't a good attitude. I hope that kind of answers your question.

Did you have brunch with Mildred today? Wish her a happy birthday for me! :-)

Ok, I LOVE the Democrat losing th race. We may not be so lucky next time though.

BTW, mom can keep O Thurs if you still can meet for dinner. I am looking forward to a girls' night out!!!