Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Tag

OK this was one of the hardest posts for me. I have over 400 cds. I worked in a music store in college. If I could have my DREAM JOB it would have been concert promotion.
Give me your feedback!
I was tagged to list some of my favorite albums and songs of all time.
Songs in no particular order:

"Faithfully" by Journey
"Neon Moon" by Brooks and Dunn
"Cross my Heart" by George Strait
" Dream Weaver" by Gary Wright
" Save a Prayer" by Duran Duran

" I Remember You" by Skid Row
" Misunderstanding" by Genesis

"Gold Dust Woman" Fleetwood Mac
"We are Family" by Sister Sledge
"I can't tell you why" by The Eagles
"Southern Cross" by Crosby, Stills Nash and Young
" New York State of Mind" By Billy Joel
"I keep forgettin" by Michael McDonald
" Your Song" by Elton John
"Time After Time" by Cindy Lauper
"Love Removal Machine" The Cult

Albums in no particular order:

Pretty Hate Machine (also known as Halo 02) is an album by Nine Inch Nails released in 1989. Pretty Hate Machine is the band's first album released on a label.
Working nights at Right Track Studio as a handyman and toilet cleaner,[1] Trent Reznor used studio "down time" to record and develop his own music. Playing most of the keyboards, drum machines, guitars, and samplers himself, he recorded a demo.


Frontiers managed to give Journey four Top 40 hits, with "After the Fall" and "Send Her My Love" both reaching number 23, "Faithfully" at number 12, and "Separate Ways" peaking at number eight -- the same amount that 1981's Escape brandished. While they tried to use the same musical recipe as Escape, Frontiers comes up a little short, mainly because the keyboards seem to overtake both Schon's guitar playing and Steve Perry's strong singing. An overabundance of Jonathan Cain's synth work cloaks the quicker tunes and seeps into the ballads, slightly widening the strong partnership of Perry and Schon. "Faithfully" tried to match the powerful beauty of "Open Arms," and while it's a gorgeous ballad, it just comes inches away from conjuring up the same soft magic. "Separate Ways" grabs attention right off the bat with stinging synthesizer and a catchy guitar riff, and "Send Her My Love" emphasizes Perry's keen ability to pour his heart out. The rest of the songs on the album lack the warmth that Journey is famous for, especially in their mix of fervor and intimacy shown on this album's predecessor. Greatest Hits is singer-songwriter James Taylor's eighth album, and the best-selling album of his career. Released on November 1, 1976, the album featured newly recorded versions of "Carolina in My Mind" and "Something in the Way She Moves." Although the album did not rise higher than number 23 on the Billboard albums chart, it still holds the second longest tenure of any album with a total of 573 weeks (over 11 years) on that chart. Greatest Hits has sold over 11,000,000 copies certifying it as a platinum album eleven times over, and a diamond album once (for 10 million copies).


Released on August 27, 1991, Ten (named after Mookie Blaylock's jersey number) contained 11 tracks dealing with dark subjects like depression, suicide, loneliness, and murder. Many interpreted "Alive" as an inspirational anthem due to its chorus.[6] Vedder has since revealed that the song tells the semi-biographical tale of a son discovering that his father is actually his step-father, while his mother’s grief turns her to sexually embrace her son, who strongly resembles the biological father.[6] The song "Jeremy" and its accompanying video were inspired by a true story in which a high school student shot himself in front of his classmates.[12] The album was slow to sell, but by the second half of 1992 it became a breakthrough success for the band, being certified gold and reaching number 2 on the Billboard charts.[11] Ten produced the hit singles "Even Flow", "Alive", "Jeremy", and "Black". Ten stayed on the Billboard charts for more than two years, and has gone on to become one of the biggest-selling rock records ever, going twelve times platinum. Rumours is a worldwide best selling rock and roll album released by Fleetwood Mac in 1977. It was the second album recorded with this lineup, following the successful self-titled Fleetwood Mac album. In December 1976, prior to the release of the album, Reprise released the single "Go Your Own Way". As of 2007 the album has sold more than 30 million copies, and is one of the best selling albums of all time.
The Eagles are an American rock band that was formed in Los Angeles, California in the early 1970s. With five number-one singles and four number-one albums, the Eagles were among the most successful recording artists of the 1970s. At the end of the 20th century, two of their albums, Eagles: Their Greatest Hits 1971–1975 and Hotel California, ranked among the ten best-selling albums according to the Recording Industry Association of America. The best-selling studio album Hotel California is rated as the 37th album in the Rolling Stone list "The 500 Greatest Albums of All Time", and the band was ranked #75 on Rolling Stone's 2004 list of the 100 Greatest Artists of All Time.



10 comments:

Mick & Cathy said...

Some good choices here especially among the albums.
A few in your singles collection that I haven't heard.

400 CD's is awesome I've got around 200 (all albums) plus around 100 vinyls.

BarnGoddess said...

I like all your picks but....

no REO Speedwagon?

High Infidelity was one I rocked to the summer of '83 and many after...

BarnGoddess said...

I think it was '83....maybe it was '84! omg Im so old

journey and air supply remind me of school dances, BIG hair, parachute pants, half chap jeans and barely matured young men.

Rachel said...

I bet you and Mick go could for days on this topic. I am music-impaired. Well, unless it's country. Then I could go on for days:)

Oh well, my nephew's band plays rock n roll. I drove Brent crazy cuz he'd go "you know who does THIS song, don't you, Rach?" and I'd go "Well...it's not Toby" and his eyes would roll wayyyyy back in his head and the answer would be "AC DC" or "Guns N Roses". I am bad with names. You'd think after all these years, he'd catch on to that. Some things never change and me, names and remembering them - never will change!!

celtic_girl said...

WOW 400 albums is pretty impressive. I saw James Taylor in concert when he came her in the 80's, he is so cool and has a lovely smooth,velvety voice.

Hannah said...

I'm ever amazed at how much music you own and how many concerts you've been to. Wow!!!

angelfish24 said...

Nice choice of music! You sure own a lot of cd's, wow. I never heard the answer on who you are pictured with? Skid row or ?
Also, wanted to say I feel for you for your mom going thru chemo. My friend and uncle are going through it too. My friend I just saw is off the chemo for now. She has been fighting the fight for 3 1/2 yrs now and think it's her 4 or 5th stint on chemo. It isn't helping her so that's why my recent visit to see her. My advice is just be there for you mom when you can. That is really all you can do. And your father really needs to give her a break! My friend's hubby is the same way, he wants her to cook all this food, clean the house, act like she's normal when she's sick and doing chemo! It's not fair and I want to knock him upside his head!

Moby Dick said...

Great music, I saw The Eagles live back in the 1990s, and Elton John when he toured with Billy Joel (great concerts!).

The info about Pearl Jam is wacked. Had no idea...

TitanThirteen said...

Excellent!

TitanThirteen said...

I haven't heard some of those songs for aaaaaages! I haven't heard some of them at all.
The very best of the eagles is one of my favs too [ i didn't list it though] But i bought the version with the cactus cover..of course. Doesn't everyone want the cactus cover?!? lol